Saturday, March 10, 2012

Here we go...

I've considered starting a blog for quite some time, but never thought myself of enough importance to require such a seemingly introverted communication medium.  But I was wrong.  Not about being important - I'm not.  But wrong about this being all about me.  I've been so inspired lately by the blogs of others that I felt compelled to finally get one out there.  Not for my own self-glorification, but ultimately to put the attention and glorification on the One who truly deserves it, God Almighty. 

I don't consider myself an expert or authority on anything, but if I've learned anything it's that His strength can truly show up when I'm weak, His greatness when I'm nothing.  So I embark on this blogging thing (amazing how old that statement makes me sound).  My intention is to try to encourage and maybe inspire people to live the life that God has called them to. 

So, in this inaugural blogging event, I'd like to share something I've recently been seeking God about - Relevance.  I'm a youth minister, and in my years of working in youth ministry this is one of the most over-used buzzwords I've heard.  It's often used as an excuse to take God out of our services, events, and lives in an attempt to fit in or gain the approval of the lost world that we're trying to reach.  I know that there is an appropriate level of adjustment that takes place to account for a particular audience.  But is it really an adjustment to help the audience understand or is it simply just compromising the message and reality of who God is? 

Being a Christian, living right, seeking God with everything, is not a decision to be taken lightly.  It's not as easy as saying "I 'liked' God, so I'm good."  It's a commitment, a life-changing event.  And so, in a world that sends such blatantly opposing messages to people, that wrong is right, right is old-fashioned and therefore not relevant, I asked God "How can I be relevant?"  It's easy to get caught up in pop culture, trying to follow the latest trends in music, fashion, etc...  But is it necessary to be so informed on everything the world is doing in order to reach that world? 

Romans 12:2 comes to mind.  The Amplified Bible says it like this:  "Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you]." 

What a relief!  I am not called to keep up with the "external, superficial customs" that are constantly pushed on me.  Instead I take on new ideals, a new attitude, so that I can do what God determines to be worthwhile, right, and perfect.  I could waste my time staying "relevant" or I can simply lay my life at His feet.  He has a life designed specifically for me to live.  Submitting my will to His, I find myself being transformed into His image, becoming a reflection of Him. 

So stop trying to tell me that I'm supposed to spend my time pursuing what the infected world thinks is important. I'll spend my time pursuing what the Almighty God says is important.  God has been relevant to every generation since the beginning.  And by laying my life down, wholeheartedly seeking Him, and committing to "live a life worthy of the calling to which I have been called"(Ephesians 4:1), I am relevant.

#relevancethroughradicalrighteousness

No comments:

Post a Comment